- The Hamptons
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Orange County
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C.
Hit List: Hey, Hot Stuff
Nick Esquer | Photo: Kelli Durham Oster | January 24, 2014
With chilly nights lingering for a little while longer, kick back and warm up with these toasty tipples.
1. Coffee cordials heat up the drinks menu at Empire Cafe (1732 Westheimer Rd., 713.528.5282). The B52 mixes Bailey’s Irish cream with house blend coffee and topped with whipped cream, and the Java Genie blends sugary sweet Kahlua with brandy and double espresso.
2. The Chocolate Bar (1835 W. Alabama St., 713.520.8599) keeps those with a sweet tooth happy—and their stomachs warm—with its thick, rich European sipping chocolate, topped with marshmallows and whipped cream.
3. Still-new Montrose bar Lowbrow (1601 W. Main St., 281.501.8288) serves up nightly helpings of steamy hot toddies. The traditional cold-weather drink gets a twist, as the whiskey is flavored with green apples and cinnamon.
4. At artisan-cocktail mecca Anvil (1424 Westheimer Rd., 713.523.1622), Nicaraguan rum, butter and natural brown sugar are combined to make a lip-smacking libation.
5. For teetotalers, The St. Regis (1919 Briar Oaks Ln., 713.840.7600) offers afternoon tea Fri.-Sun., 3-5pm, in its tea lounge. Make a reservation to sip loose-leaf teas in a deep armchair surrounded by tiny towers of cakes.