- The Hamptons
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Orange County
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C.
The Hit List: Cooking With Class
Robin Barr Sussman | Photo: Courtesy Image | August 23, 2013
Prepare to sharpen your knife—and your cooking skills! From terrific Tuscany dishes to marvelous Mexican food, learn the secrets to preparing fabulous fare from some of Houston’s hottest chefs.
1. Central Market Cooking School (3815 Westheimer Rd., 713.993.9860) fills up its calendar with classes starring local and regional chefs. This fall brings French cooking for couples, “Where’s the Beef” with Dorothy Huang, artisanal cheeses paired with beers—or for the virtuous, “Healthy Eating.”
2. Acclaimed Quattro (1300 Lamar St., 713.652.6248) Executive Chef Maurizio Ferrarese shares his Italian heritage with private cooking classes in the hotel-restaurant’s kitchen. Cooking classes are offered by appointment for 2 to 16 guests—perfect for date night or girls’ night out!
3. If you missed chef Robert Del Grande’s lauded steak-grilling primer earlier this summer, there’s still a chance to get tips from the top toque. Check the website for updates on RDG + Bar Annie’s (1800 Post Oak Blvd., 713.840.1111, rdgbarannie.com) fall schedule, which includes a cocktail course on Sept. 21. Learn how to make classic margaritas and martinis, and unique variations on the traditional drinks, from Del Grande and new bar manager Chris Frankel.
4. Craving Tex-Mex? Enchiladas, stews and tongue-tingling tacos coming right up! At Sylvia’s Enchilada Kitchen (6401 Woodway Dr.,713.334.7295), learn the ancient art of tamale-making or whip up Mexican-breakfast favorites at classes that include a full meal—and a margarita!
5. At Sur La Table (surlatable.com), anticipate such goodies as “Girls Night Out: Taste of Tuscany,” “Date Night: Great Fall Cooking” or, if you’re starting from scratch, “How to Cook Everything.” Check the website for schedules at all three locations.