- The Hamptons
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Orange County
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C.
The Hit List: Ice Scream!
Robin Barr Sussman | Photo: Courtesy of Petite Sweets | July 25, 2014
Ice cream has taken on an artisan twist, and the H-Town has the scoop-shops to prove it. The heat is on—so what are you waiting for? Grab a spoon and dig in!
1. Lauded pastry chef Chris Leung’s Cloud 10 Creamery (5216 Morningside Dr., 281.310.1662) has inventive new summer flavors. Try the smoked corn; lavender milk chocolate; pink peppercorn with strawberries; or watermelon star anise sorbet, made with a Chinese spice that tastes a bit like licorice. Also available this summer: ice cream sandwiches, milkshakes, banana splits and more.
2. Fat Cat Creamery (1910 Shepherd Dr., 713. 869.1080) has settled into its new brick-and-mortar ice cream parlor in the Heights. Stop by for seasonal scoops of peach buttermilk, coconut macadamia, “hardcore” chocolate and raspberry beret sorbet—all served up in the signature brown butter-brown sugar cone!
3. Artsy new Gelazzi (3601 White Oak Dr., 713.597.6257), also in the Heights, proffers Italian ice and gelato but also a menu of flatbreads, salads and a full bar. It’s hard to choose from the head-spinning array of gelato flavors in all the colors of the rainbow. Blood orange mimosa, Key lime or blueberry coconut, anyone?
4. Known for its array of bite-sized treats, Petite Sweets (2700 W. Alabama St., 713.520.7007) now serves its creamy frozen custard sundae-style—and in giant waffle cones. Chocoholics will melt over the Makers Chocolate Covered Cherries version, with cherry-bourbon sauce and vanilla whipped cream in a chocolate dipped cone. The six other combos include the Lemon Ice Box with crushed graham crackers.
5. The Chocolate Bar (1835 W. Alabama St., 713.520.8599) is scooping summer fun with new flavors. Campfire S’mores swirls together chocolate ice cream, rich vanilla bean ice cream, graham crackers and marshmallows. And Summer Breeze is just that: It cools your tongue with peppermint mixed into creamy vanilla ice cream.