- The Hamptons
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Orange County
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C.
The Hit List: Power Hour!
Robin Barr Sussman | Photo: Shannon O’Hara | June 7, 2013
It’s 5 o’clock somewhere—and in H-Town, that means delicious deals at restaurants, bars and boîtes. Here, five hot spots with fab happy hours you’ll want to hit up after work. Bottoms up!
1. Americas (2040 W. Gray St., 832.200.1492, and Woodlands location) has a new social hour menu with delectable Latin American bites. Get a sampler of four ceviches, or try the taquitos, yucca fries, potato-crusted calamari or assorted empanadas, $4-$15. And don’t forget the Cordua specialty cocktails, $8-$11, until 7pm daily.
2. Belly up to the bar at new, downtown Batanga (908 Congress St., 713.224.9500) for Spanish tapas like grilled chicken pinxtos, Catalan-style pork ribs, and spicy potatas bravas, and more, $4 each during happy hour (4-7pm). Red or white wine, sangria and beer, are all $3, and juicy mango or regular mojitos are $4.
3. Brand-new Eleven XI (607 W. Gray St., 713.529.5881) entices Tues.-Sat. from 3-7pm with Gulf oysters ($1 each), smoked pork shanks with various sauces ($8), and a prime hand-ground burger on Slow Dough challah bread and fries ($6) from talented chef Kevin Bryant. Plus, get two bucks off all cocktails.
4. Still new Midtown-located The Good Life (510 Gray St., 713.750.0990) has happy hour pricing on drinks (wells, wines and domestics) and shareable rib-sticking eats, Tues.-Thurs. from 4-8pm. On the daily changing menu, look for Sloppy Joe hot pockets, shrimp wontons, bacon-cheddar hush puppies, and Dirty Nachos topped with French fries and barbecue sauce.
5. Uchi (904 Westheimer Rd., 713.522.4808) lets you sample the menu without breaking the bank. From 5-6:30pm, grab the ever-changing “social hour” bites like kakiage sweet potato-onion fritter, crunchy spicy tuna roll or the amazing Walu Walu oak grilled escolar. Gekkeihan hot and Kirin Ichiban sakes are just $3 each, and some wines are discounted.