Rice Village’s eclectic mix of mom-and-pop shops has long been a draw for students and other hip Houstonians. But new hot spots are springing open, and old favorites are stepping up their game. Here are five fun shops to hit now!
1. Lily Rain (2414 University Blvd., 713.524.1902), recently opened in the former Express space, touts apparel—Kooba bags, French Connection minis—and home décor from high end designers. There is even an apothecary in the back where Lafco diffusers and Voluspa candles line the shelves.
2. New jewelry and accessories have arrived at Saint Cloud (5217 Kelvin Dr., 713.522.007). Pick up modern rings and tusk cufflinks by Gabriela Artigas, along with nautical leather bracelets with fishhook clasps by Miansai. For fall, admire forest green suede totes and other autumn-inspired bags by Clare Vivier.
3. Swing by new Emerson Sloan (2414 Rice Blvd. 713.497.5876) for chic and sophisticated party supplies—garlands, gourmet candies, cute cards and more—to make your next occasion a showstopper.
4. Chloe Dao’s eponymous boutique (Dao Chloe Dao, 6127 Kirby Dr., 713.807.1565) remains one of the village’s most popular shops. This summer, look for remakes of the top-selling Margot skirt—an A-line maxi with side slit—and the retro-looking Hadley high-waisted skirt with matching crop-top.
5. Kate Spade Saturday (2513 University Blvd., 713.807.7396) touts trendy basics from the well-known designer. This season find shirts, skirts and dresses in a variety of patterns, including brightly colored tumbling shapes, and Parisian black-and-white stripes.