Beat the heat and eat to your heart’s content at any of these culinary lessons.
1. Let your creative juices flow while sipping on sake and learning sushi-rolling techniques at SushiSamba’s Sushi and Sake 101 class. At these sessions, guests first enjoy a variety of cold and hot sakes paired with appetizers chosen by the in-house sake sommelier. After that, participants learn the ins and outs of nigiri as professional chefs share insider tips on how to create the perfect roll. Classes are $110 per person and held the fourth Tuesday of every month. 180 Aragon Ave., Coral Gables, 305.448.4990
2. Casini Kitchen & Bakeware is for the budding pâtissier in all of us—or plain foodies with a sweet tooth. Not only does the venue offer a variety of baking and cake decorating classes, but it also boasts a store on the premises that carries a variety of baking essentials so that students can practice what they learn at home. Classes are $70 per person. 5161 NW 79th Ave., Doral, 305.271.1221
3. If you can stand the heat, this is the kitchen to be in. The Biltmore Culinary Academy offers guests the experience of being involved in every step of the cooking process and enjoying the finished product. From single classes to brush up on the essentials to advanced three-day culinary boot camps—on everything from Asian favorites to pasta—this school has cuisine covered. Single classes are $110 per person; boot camps are $450 per person. The Biltmore, 1200 Anastasia Ave., Coral Gables, 305.913.3131
4. The classes at Two Chefs Restaurant are for the foodies who don’t just want to stand by. Held at the restaurant’s kitchen, the lessons give participants an idea of what it’s like to work in a busy eatery as they prepare dishes such as shrimp corn dogs, grilled New York strip steak with Gorgonzola crust and tostones with truffled tuna and avocado. Classes are $85 per person. 8287 S. Dixie Highway, South Miami, 305.663.2100
5. Small bites and big cocktails are par for the course at La Diva Cucina. Chef Laura Lafata keeps things simple by teaching attendees five recipes—three for food dishes and two for cocktails—which she promises are all they need for entertaining success. Classes start at $85 per person. Locations vary, 305.297.8121