- The Hamptons
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Orange County
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C.
Shannon Foley | Photo: Courtesy of Bay Books | June 9, 2014
As life takes on a slower pace, and S.D.’s summer sun has us heading down to the nearest beach, it’s time to grab a new read. Our curated bookshop guide is all you need to bulk up your bookshelves and complete your summer reading list. Read on!
1. Game of Thrones fan? Then get thee to Mysterious Galaxy, S.D.’s headquarters for sci-fi and fantasy lit for more than 20 years. Beloved by bibliophiles and one of the last truly independent booksellers in San Diego, the Clairemont shop prides itself on expert recommendations and always knowing what’s super hot (and possibly about to become the next break-out HBO series). On June 17, spot literature lovers and hunky history buffs at this iconic Clairemont shop, waiting to meet award-winning author Jo Walton as she presents and signs her newest alternate-history novel My Real Children. Or, pick up a copy of Kate Mosse's New York Times best-selling novel Labyrinth, a compelling adventure filled with modern conspiracy and medieval passion.
2. An Orange Avenue fixture, Bay Books invites customers to lounge lazily under its forest green awnings. Find brainy beach babes perusing this nook-like bookshop where best sellers and tantalizing beach-reads stock the shelves. We can’t wait to drop in and pick up Harlan Coben’s New York Times best seller Missing You, a heart-stopping thriller sure to be the perfect summer novel. Take a cue from us and stop by before plopping down on the sand and grab a book to keep you company while you listen to the crash of Coronado’s waves.
3. From literary classics to delectable new releases, Warwick's has it all. Bonus? As the oldest family-owned and operated bookstore in the country, it’s also a must-stop for many celebrated authors on signing tours. This month, the La Jolla icon hosts best-selling author and short story humorist David Sedaris. You can catch the wry, sidesplitting Sedaris June 23 at 7PM when he will be reading from his latest masterpiece, Let’s Explore Diabetes with Owls. Here’s a little insiders advice—tickets to see this comedic scrivener are going fast, and are only available by pre-purchasing Owls through the bookshop’s website, so hop to it! And, of course, this village institution also has quite the gift shop where we like to grab a killer beach tote along with our stack of scrumptious novels—summer perfection!
4. Sitting daintily on the bottom floor of the San Diego Central Library is a museum-boutique crossbreed, The Library Shop. This quaint emporium holds two things we love: troves of quirky treasures and books! Specializing in cookbooks, gift books and trade paperback fiction, finding a unique literary gem is no problem. Of course, those who can’t find exactly what their looking for in this East Village shop can just head upstairs to the gleaming library and pick up the volume of their choice. Either way, this non-profit store sends its proceeds straight back into the library system, so you can feel like a philanthropist whether you decide to purchase a book or borrow it. What can we say? It’s a win-win situation!
5. And finally, here to help us with all our summer projects and designing endeavors is the noteworthy design book section at SoLo. With a Solana Beach breeze swirling through the Cedros shop, you can find S.D.’s largest selection of architecture, design, art, cooking and lifestyle books featuring posh publishers such as Taschen Chronicle, Harper Design and Daab. After skimming through their expansive books section, we always like to take a stroll through the rest of the chic and modish store and find inspiration in their rich variety of home design merchandise. Our advice? Pick up a book and get inspired!