- The Hamptons
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Orange County
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C.
Cocktails? O’ Baby!
Valerie Rogatsky | Photo: Courtesy of W San Diego | March 6, 2014
We like to keep it classy and our cocktails crafty. So this St. Patrick’s day, we’re all about sophisticated sips to make our Irish eyes smile. Here are five of our favorite places to find just that. Feeling lucky?
1. There are plenty of places around S.D. to get wild, but we prefer the restyled and refined vibe at W San Diego Hotel this St. Patrick’s Day. They’ve prepared a couple of creative cocktails that have our mouths watering. Get festive with the Thin Mint: crème de menthe, vanilla vodka, Starbucks coffee and crème liquors, topped with a mint sprig. Or, if you’ve had your fill of Girl Scouts this season, perhaps a Twisted Irish Coffee is more your style: Irish Whiskey, Dooleys, Starbucks coffee liquor, Dekuyper chocolate liquor and coffee with a green-apple Laffy Taffy swizzle stick. Sweet! 421 W B St, 619.398.3100
2. Thanks to Alchemy, beer lovers and cocktail cravers won’t have to separate this holiday. This St. Pat’s, tap into some local brew with O’Connors Oatmeal Stout from Thorn St. Brewing. (Thorn St. owner/brewer, Dennis O’Conner, is the real Irish deal, and even a graduate of St. Patrick’s Academy in North Park.) And talk about luck of the Irish! With St. Pat’s falling on a Monday, it’s $3 drafts. Cocktail-wise, Alchemy gone cinematic with The Gangs of New York, a blend of Tullamore Dew Irish whiskey, Punt e Mes vermouth, and Cynar bitter liquor. Or, on a more risqué note, there’s the Meet my Mistress: Boru Irish vodka and Irish Mist. We won’t tell. 1503 30th St, 619.255.0616
3. Craft cocktails at El Dorado never cease to amaze us, and their current menu boasts an appropriately green drink. Try The Emerald City: rum, green chartreuse, fresh lime, mint syrup and egg white. But St. Pat’s is your last chance to taste this delight, along with all the others on this season’s menu. El Dorado will launch their spring menu the following day, March 18th. Blarney! 1030 Broadway, 619.237.0550
4. They may peddle in all things Italian, but Cucina Urbana San Diego and Cucina Enoteca Del Mar have gotten their Irish up for St. Patrick’s Day. And calling all Irish whiskey lovers, these cocktails speak your love language! The Crimson and Clove has blood orange wedges muddled with simple syrup, and combined with Jameson Irish Whiskey and Cherry Herring Liquor. Meanwhile, the Ellis Island is a nostalgic sip that speaks to both the Irish and Italian experience, with Jameson Irish Whiskey, Antica Carpano sweet vermouth, Italian Cardamaro and bitters. Get ready to start singing Danny Boy. 505 Laurel St, 619.239.2222 & 2730 Via De La Valle, 818.704.4500
5. Finally, if you’re keeping it coastal while getting your green on, we recommend relaxing at Pacifica with a Cucumber Basil Refresher in hand. It’s a breezy mix of Crop organic cucumber vodka, housemade cucumber-basil sorbet and fresh lemon juice, topped with soda water and garnished with sliced cucumber. Heaven! But with martinis a mainstay at the Del Mar hangout, we could equally spring for a Cucumber Rosemary Martini made with Hendrick’s gin (or vodka—there are more than 200 on offer!), fresh rosemary, muddled cucumber and green grapes. We’re going for the gold! 1555 Camino Del Mar, 858.792.0476