- The Hamptons
- Modern Luxury Hawai'i
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Orange County
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C.
Morgan Golumbuk | Photo: Courtesy Image | August 9, 2013
Summer may be on its way out, but try telling that to the throngs packing Windandsea, Moonlight, Tourmaline... Our solution? Making a splash east of the boardwalk, surfing over to one of S.D.’s swanky swim clubs.
1. One classic letter, 24 hours of poolside bliss. W San Diego’s heated outdoor pool, WET, and indoor-outdoor Veranda make the most of a pocket-sized space that nonetheless packs a party punch. One short flight up, the re-energized Rooftop, where Mr. Important Design’s iconic stacked-chairs bonfire blazes, hosts Liquid Sunday with brunch bites, mind-blowing Bloody Mary’s and signature twisted mimosas and Bellini’s. 421 West B St., thewsandiegohotel.com
2. The pool deck and lounge, SummerSalt, at Hotel Palomar is a magnet for all things California cool. The pièce de résistance is the glam hotel’s stylish infinity pool, backdrop for live music and entertainment four nights a week. But clear your Saturday schedule: the weekly “Dive-In Feast” is a farm-fresh BBQ fête from chef Simon Dolinky that is, in a word, fabulous. 1047 5th Ave., hotelpalomar-sandiego.com
3. So over The Shores? Then the Hiatus Pool Lounge at Hotel La Jolla is your perfect hometown hideaway. Feel the Pacific breeze as you enjoy a daiquiri done Hemingway-style (shaken with rum, maraschino liquor, fresh grapefruit and lime) and nibble Executive Chef Donald Lockhart’s Mediterranean-inspired small bites (those pepperoni rolls…). Wednesday is movie night: cuddle up, there’s a bonfire and cocktails calling your name. 7955 La Jolla Shores Dr., hotellajolla.com
4. The weekend scene is hipsterific at The Weissmuller Pool, so named after famed swimmer Johnny Weissmuller, rumored to have designed the Olympic-sized aqua mecca at North Park staple The Lafayette Hotel. The PM Swim Club is an adults only affair, but afternoon Splash Time (with floaties!) is kid friendly. Totally cool? We’d nosh at Imig’s Kitchen and Bar anyway (the roasted pork belly Benedict is a ticket to paradise), but doing so Thursday to Monday—the Lafayette weekend (!)—gains you pool access gratis. 2223 El Cajon Blvd., lafayettehotelsd.com
5. Our new Saturday getaway? Dive at Harrah’s Rincon Casino & Resort, with a lounge-worthy lazy river and SoCal’s only swim-up bar. Yes, we know, Valley Center’s hot (and not just because of its stash of under-the-radar wineries). Solution? Chill out with an avocado margarita from the resorts new indoor-outdoor Mexican restaurant and pick up some carnitas tacos on your way to the hot tubs: so hot, it’s cool! 77 Harrah's Rincon Way, harrahsrincon.com