- The Hamptons
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Orange County
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C.
We Heart Mom!
Emily Villanueva and Colleen Dunn | Photo: Courtesy Image | May 3, 2013
Mother’s Day is coming up this Sunday, May 12. What better way to spoil your mama silly than to take her out to brunch? Let’s toast to all the women who packed our school lunches, kissed our bloody knees and nursed us back to health: We raise our bottomless mimosas to you, mom!
1. Downtown favorite Jsix puts a culinary twist on those mommy-and-me classes, serving up a kid-friendly brunch that doesn’t skimp on sophistication. Mom can perfect the finer points of Bloody Mary-making at the well-stocked DIY cocktail bar, while the bambinos stock up at a cookies and cupcakes station. Everybody’s happy! And that is Mother’s Day perfection. 616 J St., jsixrestaurant.com
2. A jaunt to Tuscany would be awesome, but who wants to deal with the TSA? Skip the 14-hour flight, and settle in at Gaslamp’s BiCE. Feasting like a true Italian means taking your time, so leisurely make your way through all three courses of their prix fixe menu. Savor the stuffed chicken breast with truffle cheese or homemade spinach fettucini with a pink vodka sauce, but don’t forget to leave some room: Bottomless mimosas are included. Mamma mia! 425 Island Ave., bicesandiego.com
3. Mom will feel adored, cherished and pampered by brunch at the Rancho Valencia Resort & Spa. The Rancho Santa Fe stunner serves up classics like buttermilk pancakes, Belgian waffles and eggs Benedict, but then goes all California modern with a sushi table and chilled seafood stations. There’s Bloody Marys and Bellinis, of course, and mom goes home with a gift of chef Eric Bauer’s spring jam. 5921 Valencia Cir., ranchovalencia.com
4. Salute mom’s chic style in the Phillippe Starck dining room at Katsuya. The sleek downtown resto at the Andaz Hotel suggests feting your beloved okasan family-style, with dishes like crispy rice with spicy tuna, sizzling wagyu tobanyaki and their succulent miso-marinated black cod. After tea, go play sommelier in the Andaz wine bar, or head for the rooftop for a cocktail and a view nearly as lovely as mama. 600 F St., sbe.com/katsuya/san-diego
5. Nobody does comfort food like mom, but the Marriot Marquis’ Marina Kitchen’s modern take is pretty close. Pair fresh seasonal fare and comfort food favorites with bottomless mimosas and make sure not to miss the dessert station! Mom will still take a million pictures, no doubt, but the hotel makes memories having you pose for a complimentary family portrait. 333 W Harbor Drive, marriott.com