- Eat & Drink
- News & Features
- City Life
- The Hamptons
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Orange County
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Silicon Valley
- Washington, D.C.
It's Cold Outside! 20 Warming Antidotes to the Grey Chill of Fogust
Sara Deseran | Photo: Sara Deseran | August 8, 2013
Otherwise known as August, this is the month that challenges even the most dedicated San Franciscan. Here are some secrets to making it all better.
It's Fogust, that time of year when we all start to look up real estate in Novato. (Hey, the commute wouldn't be so bad, not to mention, they have a La Boulange!) The time of year when we start drinking in the afternoon. (Gee, a little Johnnie Walker sure would warm up the office.) The time of year when we strain to see the sunny side of our iPhone's weather forecast. (Look, it's going to be 65 ... next Thursday!) But, before you throw in the towel and move to the burbs, consider some of these remedies for the fog collected from our group of editors and readers. They should last you until at least September.
1. Order a hot bowl of pho ga (chicken pho) at Turtle Tower.
2. Take a day off at the Korean Imperial Day Spa with a massage from Yoyo who knows how to make it hurt so good.
3. Do a shot of any of Del Maguey's spicy, smoky mescals. Or four. (Available at PlumpJack Wines in Noe Valley.)
4. Take a good, sweaty yoga class from Charu or Ethan at Yoga Tree to get you warmed up and limber.
5. Now that you're limber, go on a hike around the Lafayette Reservoir which is easily accessible by BART.
6. Spend an afternoon getting lost in a juicy book in any one of the city's updated libraries (try North Beach, Glen Park, or the Bayview).
7. Drop in on a Friday night hip hop class at ODC taught by the excellent Shareen.
8. Buy a cheap and cheerful cashmere sweater at Uniqlo. Don immediately.
9. Pack a romantic, view-tastic, thermos-centric picnic of soup and tea and have it at the top of Bernal Heights Hill or Buena Vista Park. Bundle up.
10. Schedule a steamy facial from Caroline at Stork's Skin Therapy in the Mission District. Follow it up with a glass of red wine at 20 Spot across the street.
11. Go shopping at the farmers market for summer produce, followed by a dinner made up of any of the "foggy and cool" chef-inspired dishes here. Definitely try the warm BLT.
12. Grab your friends this weekend and do some booty shaking to Beyonce at Toad Hall in the Castro.
13. Catch a matinee of The Wolverine at the Balboa Theater (Hugh Jackman's abs should warm you right up). Follow it with dumplings at Shanghai House across the street.
14. Go on a long run to Lands End and back.
15. Take a quick zip over to Mill Valley for lunch at the cheery new location of Sol Food. Eat plantains and the fried shrimp po'boy (doused in the chili-vinegar) and pretend you're in Puerto Rico.
16. Find a fireplace like the one at Pizza Orgasmica in the Richmond where it's half-off extra large pizzas on Tuesdays.
17. Embrace a day of big-box consumerism without the liberal guilt. Go to Target and eat at Super-Duper. Go to IKEA and have a cinnamon roll. Go to the Serramonte Center and eat at Panda Express (get the brown rice if you must).
18. Escape to the closest pool with sun, like the one at the Claremont Hotel Club & Spa in Berkeley.
19. Warm up with a cup of tea and green tea roll cake at the serene Taste tea house in Hayes Valley.
20. Call in sick, stay under the covers, and listen to the fog horns while catching up on the Twitter feed and Instagrams of Karl the Fog.