- Eat & Drink
- News & Features
- City Life
- The Hamptons
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Orange County
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Silicon Valley
- Washington, D.C.
Obama Called Kamala Harris Our "Best Looking Attorney General." But How Does He Rank?
Scott Lucas | Photo: Wikimedia Commons | April 5, 2013
Sorry, Mr. President, it's your turn to be objectified.
As part of his fundraising swing through the Bay Area, President Obama was in Atherton on Wednesday night, where he made the mistake of calling California Attorney General Kamala Harris "the best-looking attorney general in the country." The line drew a wave of rebukes from those who viewed the comments as sexist, and by Friday afternoon, Obama had phoned Harris to apologize. (She forgave him.)
Still, in the interest of fair play, we started wondering how the POTUS himself ranks on what we have coined the PILF scale. Not so hot, it turns out. Here's the results of our (extremely) unscientific ranking of presidential handsomeness.
THE TOP TEN MOST ATTRACTIVE PRESIDENTS IN U.S. HISTORY
1. Chester A. Arthur (1881-1885): Epic muttonchops for the win.
2. William Howard "The Bear" Taft (1909-1913): Slap on a leather vest and chaps, and our most-rotund President would have fit right in at the Eagle Tavern.
3. Ronald "Bedtime for Bonzo" Reagan (1981-1989): He could feed us jellybeans all night long. even though we know he'd forget to call us the day after.
4. Franklin "Hipster Haircut" Pierce (1853-1857): Seriously, look at that hair swoop and tell us he's not the mandolin player in Arcade Fire.
5. Teddy Roosevelt (1901-1909): He may speak softly, but he carries a big stick. (Har har har.)
8. Lyndon "Johnson" Johnson (1963-1969): Have you seen the size of his ears? Just saying.
9. Calvin "Silent Cal" Coolidge (1923-1929): Who doesn't want the strong and silent type? And he presided over "The Roaring 20s."
10. Barack Obama (2009-): Sorry, Barry, you barely break into the top ten. Sexism just isn't that sexy.
Have feedback? Email us at email@example.com
Follow us on Twitter @sanfranmag
Follow Scott Lucas on Twitter @ScottLucas86