- Eat & Drink
- News & Features
- City Life
- The Hamptons
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Orange County
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Silicon Valley
- Washington, D.C.
The Top Five Things We Learned About Andre Iguodala from ESPN the Magazine
Scott Lucas | Photo: Courtesy Eric Ray Davidson/ESPN the Magazine | October 1, 2013
Golden State Warrior Andre Iguodala loves Larry Ellison, interned at Bank of America Merril Lynch, and gives great stock tips.
Last season for the Denver Nuggets, swingman Andre Iguodala averaged 13 points and 5.3 rebounds per game. It's no surprise, then, that the Warriors snapped him up during the offseason after he posted impressive numbers against them in the playoffs. What might be a little more shocking is just how well the 6-foot-6-inch 29-year-old fits in with our tech and finance culture. That's what we found out from ESPN the Magazine, which devotes its entire October 14 issue to Bay Area sports. Look out folks, Iguodala is about to disrupt basketball.
1. He has his sights on becoming an owner: "My long-range goal is to become a GM or team president. I can't own a sports franchise while I'm playing, but I do have aspirations to own an NBA team, and a WNBA team too."
2. He thinks taxes are the price of civilization: "The salary you give up by signing in a state with income tax, or in a city that offered you less money, can be recouped later on if you connect with the right people, put in the hours and invest in the right way."
3. He loves Larry Ellison: "Guys like Larry Ellison sit courtside at all our games. Dude, Larry Ellison! I'm his biggest fan."
4. He's not wasting time: "During the lockout two years ago, I interned with Bank of America Merrill Lynch. I got to follow a venture capitalist."
5. He has great stock tips: "My business manager lets me play with money in an E-Trade account. We killed it one day with Groupon, killed it with LinkedIn, made some money when Nike split, made some money with a Nike competitor. Netflix! They were ahead of the curve when it came to streaming, and the stock just shot up."
Have feedback? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Email Scott Lucas @ScottLucas86
Follow us on Twitter @sanfranmag
Follow Scott Lucas on Twitter @ScottLucas86