From artisan small-batch ice creams to sinful shakes and innovative ice cream sandwiches, locally crafted frozen treats are dotting the urban landscape. Here’s the sweet scoop on where to cool down fast this summer.
1. Cloud 10 Creamery’s (5216 Morningside Dr., 281.310.1662) dreamy grapefruit-and-olive-oil, tomato-strawberry or white-chocolate-kiwi ice cream and sorbet creations will put you on, well, cloud 10. The extended menu proffers inventive ice cream sandwiches—the PB&J is worth dieting for—in addition to milkshakes and frozen cakes.
2. Fat Cat Creamery (1910 Shepherd Dr., 713.869.1080) scoops up locavore decadence like blackberries-and-cream or spiced-apple-brandy push-pops. Throw caution to the wind and order the brownie-cheesecake ice cream sammies with graham cookies, or fancy-pants donut sundae.
3. Ooh La La (770 W. Sam Houston Pkwy., Ste. 500, 713.465.6338) scoops 12 flavors of rich and creamy locally crafted gelato at its Town & Country boutique. Best-selling flavors include butterscotch-pecan, golden cupcake made with Ooh La La vanilla cupcakes, and Spumoni.
4. If you like frozen treats, you’ll have more fun than a kid in a candy store at Petite Sweets (2700 W. Alabama St., 713.520.7007). Look for lemon gelato served with a macaron on top; rainbow cake push-pops; red-velvet-custard milkshakes.
5. Sprinkles Cupcakes (4014 Westheimer Rd., 713.871.9929) in Highland Village now serves ice cream! Choose from dozens of fun flavors including salted caramel, strawberry, chocolate malted chip, and cap’n crunch. Optionally, custom design a giant ice cream sandwich with the freshly baked cookies of the day.