This Sunday, snag a seat at one of these five Houston hot spots and treat Dad to a decadent meal—with vino, of course—for Father’s Day.
1. Awarded a coveted spot on Esquire’s list of Top 20 Steaks in America, the signature wood-grilled beef tenderloin seasoned with chimichurri at Churrascos (947 N. Gessner Rd., 713.231.1352, and other locations) is the bomb. The man of the day might relish the short ribs; the parrilladas grill of lobster, shrimp and fresh fish; or the full brunch buffet—desserts included!
2. Hugo Ortega’s still-new Caracol (2200 Post Oak Blvd., 713.622.9996) puts on a Dia de las Padres buffet spread this Sunday. Antojitos from the Comal, enchiladas, huevos a la Mexicana, roasted fish, raw oysters and Mexican pastries are just a few of the delicacies. To drink, eye opening cocktails, fresh squeezed juices, Mexican coffee and a thoughtful wine list by sommelier Sean Beck.
3. If Italian cuisine is Dad’s thing, bustling Ciao Bello (5161 San Felipe St., 713.960.0333) will charm with contemporary regional specialties and a well-curated, Italian-heavy wine list. Favorites include cappelletti—wild mushroom stuffed pasta hats with cognac sauce—and double-cut lamb chops with Tuscan kale.
4. Pappas Bros. Steakhouse (5839 Westheimer Rd., 713780.7352) wows with a handsome clubby vibe, in-house dry-aged beef—and the right wine every time. The special day calls for lobster deviled eggs or smoked salmon rillettes, followed by the bone-in filet mignon. And don’t skip the massive Chocolate Midnight cake for dessert.
5. Treat Dad to an extensive wine dinner of four courses and five paired wines from Napa’s PlumpJack Winery at Cru Wine Bar Café (in West Ave, 713.528.9463). Start with scallops in seared roasted golden beet essence, and move on to New York strip steak with green peppercorn butter. Cheers to that!